8.25.2011

Break Time #26

Time sure does fly by when you're working. So to make up for lost time, I am doing a weeks worth of creative challenges. This is not going to be in a particular order, but whenever I find my notes. I hope this does not become a common trend. I am determined to make it through this book! I don't think I can keep up the daily entry though. There is just to much to do, and so little time after work.

Here is one entry: I had to create a game for the office. What is the greatest thing about being a designer? You get to use an Exacto knife all day! It's kind of like being an office hunter except the only thing you get to kill is a mock up! What a better game for releasing mid-day stress than Exacto Flinging!

Also known as "Fling the Blade" this game would be an office version of ax throwing. The rules are simple. The exacto has to be thrown end over end at the FoamBoard target. The target would have rings worth 1-3 points. There would be 2 categories. One with a handle, and the other without. If you are able to stick the blade in the FoamBoard without the handle, you win. That is just crazy that you can do that, so there is no point in trying to compete. (I've tried it, and I'm pretty sure it's can't be done.

Here is another entry: Adjust the rules of your favorite sport to make it faster, or more interesting. Whatever you wanted. I chose baseball. I love the sport, and the tradition of it, but there are a few things that need to change.

1. The batter can't call for time after every pitch. They have to be ready to hit at any second.
2. Add a rock between 2nd & 3rd. This makes players thing when running, and could cause interesting plays for the shortstop.
3.Make each player "play" for a charity. 50% of the salary goes to that charity. Make "playing" the game mean something.
4. Pitchers can manipulate 1 ball per inning using only spit, dirt, or materials found naturally on the field. This would cause amazing pitch action and cause better pitching to a star hitter.
5. After 3 consecutive foul balls on a #-2 count the batter strikes out.

This one is pretty juicy. I had to use 9 triangles and I looked at them from different viewpoints. The viewpoints are listed below the triangle.



This just might be my favorite one of the whole week.

Now, if you know anything about me, I have a history with lawn gnomes. I practically carried one around with me to major events my Sr. year of high school. All in an effort to be "that guy with the gnome." The title suited me, and I was fine with it. This awesome drawing is a re visioning of the lawn gnome. I created a character that looks like he would fit in with modern society. As you can see in the image itself, there are several amenities that the modern lawn gnome must have in order to stand in the grass.

The last task was to come up with 5 things I would want on my head if I didn't have hair.
1. A Bird's nest
2. Velvet hair (shout out to Seinfeld)
3. Small parking cones
4. Boars hair (so I could paint with my head)
5. A hat, which I wear everyday already.

Thus concludes my post. I feel like I am becoming more creative through these posts. I know my sketching has gotten a little better, but that is an added bonus. I wonder what number I'm up to really on these activities?

No comments:

Post a Comment